Saturday, April 4, 2009


The most popular newspaper in Mass, The Boston Globe, is being threatened to be shut down. This news has stunned readers and left them wondering how this could happen when they are the number 1 paper around? It is all about money and the recession is taking its toll on The Globe too. The New York Times Co. is threatening to close the paper unless they agree to a $20 million concession. This money will come from pay cuts and loss of company contributions to employee pentions.


Everyone is really upset by this and many say they will really miss the Globe. Some people are not affected by it at all and claim they can get their news elsewhere like online. I don't read the newspaper but I imagine if it was a daily ritual of mine, like it is for a lot of people I would be devastated by the news that they were shutting down.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    I totally agree with you that some people do not seem as concerned with the turmoil in the newspaper industry. I believe it could be for a number of reasons, many people could not understand just exactly how important and crucial print news is. Being a communication studies major and graduating next month, I think I have come to understand its fundamentals and respect it because I have learned so much about it as a media outlet. It is really unfortunate that they may be closing, and I feel it's a bit uneasy- because their are somethings I consider 'constants' in life and now it just seems as though anything can be taken away in the blink of any eye, so maybe people should value it more while they can at least still have it!

    ReplyDelete