Thursday, April 9, 2009

New Video Game Based on Real-life Events in Iraq

Atomic Games is coming out with a new video game called "Six Days in Fallujah" which is based on the war in Iraq. The president of the company, Peter Tamte, is very excited about their new action game. They even tapped dozens of soldiers who were involved in the 2004 battle for Iraqi city to get a real-life view. They want their new release to be more than just a game, they want it to be like a documentary. There are many games out right now that are based on real-life events such as "Call of Duty" and "Medal of Honor", but they are based on the past. This will be the first video game that is based on the war in Iraq. "Six Days" will use actual events that took place as their backdrop. The game follows several units through their day to day lives for the six days in Fallujah. It is set to release next year. This sounds interesting to me. I don't play video games but I might play this one just to see what it is all about.

2 comments:

  1. I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I think it's really cool that it's so current and relatable to todays evens. But on the other hand what message is this sending about the war?
    I guess that argument can really be said about any war video game, but games from, say WWII, seem different because that war was almost romanticized. We have a vision of the American hero, especially coming home on V-day parade ect... Notice you don't really see any Vietnam war games?
    From the point of view of a 20-year-old college male, I think it's great, but from a moral standpoint I'm a little iffy. It would be interesting to see what the majority of soldiers serving feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will definitely be interesting to see what happens. I fear that many will see this as down-playing the war and turning it into entertainment. As you have said, I hope that they stick to the "documentary" feel

    ReplyDelete