Monday, February 9, 2009

No Jobs For Us Seniors...


We all know about the recent job losses that are affecting America. Many people are getting laid off from their jobs in the companies quests to save money. Many media organizations are also taking this route, which is not good news for us communication majors! Time Warner is planning on laying off 1250 staffers. They have recorded a net loss of $8.16 billion so they are trying to prevent the company from going under like many others have. The cuts will save them $90 million in a year. A rep from Disney says that their quarterly profits were unexpectedly low. They are predicting that these changes in consumer behavior could have a long term impact on broadcast TV and DVD sales. If that does happen it could mean a really big problem for the communication world.


These new cuts are scaring me, as a senior that is graduating in the fall I am anticipating the worst. I do not think it will be possible for me to find a job in the communications Field any time soon. Not only in communications but in all Fields there is a shortage of jobs. I hope that eventually I will be able to get a job were I can use my degree as I intended too and not have to get any old job just to make a living. I still have some time before I graduate for the economy to fix itself so I will keep my fingers crossed!

5 comments:

  1. I will probably sound like a broken record, but internships will be the difference in you staying at a entry level position or going into a feild where you can put your degree to use! Unless ofcourse you plan to get your masters or even an applied studies certificate... You may still have enough time to apply for a summer internship somehwere. Go see Dr. Joel Litvin and he will be a huge help in guiding you where you need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I have become too dependent on "spell check" and am laughing at my grammar and spelling mistakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I as well am frightened at the rate of which jobs have decreased fast throughout the past several years.
    My own perspective on the situation is, It is scary enough to be leaving our comfort zone (college) which I have gotten cozy in for the last 5 years of my life (=
    But on top of that, we have to worry about not getting a job due to the HUGE economic downfall.
    It is not fair to us we are graduating under these particular circumstances in this point of time but my advice is to hold our heads up high because we ARE graduating! And to be optimistic to what the future holds for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you just said what everyone is thinking...we are all scared. These are tough times and they are going to get worse before they get better, but like erin said we ARE graduating!!!! so even if we don't get jobs right away hopefully we can survive for a bit (if your parents are kind enough :-) all we can do is be optimistic, apply for any and all jobs thrown our way and wait it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing I'm starting to seriously consider is graduate school. I still have 3 semesters left here at bsc but it's not looking like the job market is going to get better in the next year. It seems that going to graduate school might be the best option. Hopefully, it will give the job market another year to improve before I'm ready to enter the "real world", and a masters degree might help a little bit too.

    ReplyDelete