Monday, February 9, 2009

The Transition to Digital...Are We Ready??

The upcoming transition to digital television has left many people feeling unprepared. A study done by Mindshare Online Research revealed that older adults (55+) were more prepared than younger adults (18-34). I was surprised by these facts because I was almost certain it would have been the other way around. Because older people are less likely to already have cable I figured they would have no idea what to do. One thing I did not think about is the fact that older people have been better prepared for the transition because of this fact.

My grandparents do not have cable and I was worried about how they were preparing for the transition. I asked them about it to make sure they knew what to expect and what to do in order to be ready. They said that they have known about it and have been prepared because of commercials informing them about it. However, there are still many Americans that are not prepared and will no longer have access to television once the transition takes place on the 17th. Some are worried that this will effect ratings but I think that if a person is a regular TV watcher they will be ready for the transition.

I think that the government is doing a good job of preparing people for what is going to happen on February 17. I have seen tons of commercials, for a couple of years they have been airing them. The government has also been giving coupons for free converters for the people that cannot afford them. All in all I think that the transition is going to go well and most people are prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment